Japan's Tokyo University opens call for fully funded Amgen Research Scholars Program 2020
Photo Credit: For representational purpose only
The Amgen Scholars Program provides hundreds of undergraduates each year with the opportunity to undertake scientific research projects at many of the world's leading institutions.
Launched in 2006 in the United States, 2008 in Europe, and 2015 in Japan at the University of Tokyo and Kyoto University, Amgen Scholars has expanded to additional world-class institutions in the U.S., Europe and Asia!
The program provides research opportunities for interested undergraduate students in diverse streams including the medical and life sciences with special focus on cutting -edge translational research.
The objective of the program is to provide undergraduate students from different countries who are committed to or who are considering a career in biology or related sciences and looking to continue to graduate studies, with eight weeks of biomedical research experience in the basic and translational sciences.
Research experiences are being provided by faculty members of the Graduate School of Medicine, Graduate School of Engineering, Graduate School of Science, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, and the Institute of Industrial Science. By the end of their summer experience, students are expected to acquire knowledge and skills for conducting research.
The students are also expected to extend their international friendship through the collaborative experiences. These experiences will help the students to develop future collaborations in many situations.
In addition to working full time in the laboratory for 8 weeks, the program features:
- Visits to Graduate Schools and Institutes related to biomedical research
- Information sessions on how to apply to Graduate Schools at UTokyo
- Special seminars and luncheons where students can meet and have discussions
- Access to UTokyo campus facilities such as the Library, Health Care Center and Gymnasium
- Japanese cultural events
UTokyo Amgen Scholars Program applicants must be undergraduate students who are:
- Enrolled in colleges or universities worldwide that award a bachelor’s degree (or its equivalent); and
- At the minimum, have completed their first year of undergraduate study at the time the summer program begins, and
- Are not graduating before the summer program begins, and after the summer program ends will resume undergraduate studies for at least 1 semester or 1 quarter
- ROOM: Near-campus accommodation
- STIPEND: 250,000 JPY
The stipend should be used freely to budget for food and any personal trips during your stay in Japan and so on.
Economy-class airline tickets for flights, or round-trip train tickets for domestic students, will be provided to participate in the program and the Amgen Scholars Asia Symposium to be held in Singapore. The most economical and direct route and travel schedule will be stipulated based on the discussion between participants and the program office. If the schedule is changed for personal reasons of the participant, they will be required to repay the University of Tokyo the cost of the original booked flights.
Each year thousands of students from different parts of the word apply for this prestigious summer research program.
Please send all inquiries regarding the Program to the following email address:
Share this article...